God's painting

God's painting

Monday, March 26, 2007

National FY/YA Chair - Kathy Taormina


National Youth/Young Adult Commission Chair – Kathy Taormina writes:

“The apostolic teaching of the Church…is the marriage of human action and the divine. It was like being re-awakened to why we, as Secular Franciscans, live, breathe and encounter one another within the ministry of our Commissions,” Did I believe in this marriage of human action and the divine? Could I see examples of human hands and hearts being guided by God in what we try to accomplish in the FYYA? Did I see this human and divine merging in the actions I take as an SFO? I recalled the poem that talks about us being the only hands/feets/eyes/ect. of God that most people will ever encounter, but did I truly believe it? Was I just another “do-gooder” because of the warm fuzzy feelings I got or because of the praise I received from those around me? Could I truly believe that an all powerful and loving God could choose me and the FYYA to bring Him into the world? All tough questions that I had to face and that the FYYA Commission had to evaluate. This is what I discovered…
I have always viewed the FYYA as encompassing ALL the commissions. The youth have their own, specific Formation, which is geared toward their age, and determined by our SFO Constitution and USA FYYA Statutes. They are not limited to engage in the efforts of any one of the four Apostolic Commissions’ actions, but can connect with society in various projects and events within all the Commissions.
The answer to the questions, in all cases, is a resounding YES! (except to the do-gooder question)! I can see God in our youth, in the adults who journey with the youth, and especially in the accomplishments of our youth around the USA! The divine is truly “married” to the human person in the lives of our young people, if we but look for it and when found, nurture it. The FYYA challenges each of you!
May we not only be witnesses to this “marriage”, but may 2007 be a year filled with our human actions saying “I DO!” to our God! “
Thanks Kathy for words well said.

No comments: